Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Silver screen: A look at the past

Just when I thought I wouldn't have any time for vacation, my internship ended on May 22, leaving me 17 days of summer before school starts. As you may have guessed, I had a lot of free time. I thought of watching old movies that I kept hearing about from the new ones, so let me play the role of a movie critic for a while.

Here are the list of the oldies I got to see before and during the summer breaksome of which were personally recommended while the others were mentioned from movies and TV series.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - I'm not sure where I got the recommendation to watch this. I loved Audrey Hepburn here (Cross my heart, kiss my elbows!). She was really skinny and stylish. The story is about a phony socialite in New York who had a brother to take care of after his supposed comeback from the military. She met a neighbor, a writer, who also ended up as her friend. What I liked about this film was that it did not have many self-inflicted dramas some just can't relate with. I had to search the Internet for the plot in order to better understand it. Way back, people talked too fast.

 Star Wars (1977-1983, 1999-2005) - The intention to see this saga rooted from How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM). Not recently, my brother and I bought a DVD and were hooked with the prequel trilogy, Episodes I to III. I just learned that the prequel was filmed later (1999-2005), and that Episodes IV-VI were filmed earlier (1977-1983). No wonder the plot went all crappy and corny! I didn't finish the later episodes: I got saturated and bored. Anyway, I'm thinking of re-visiting the other episodes in order to see the Ewoks Barney kept talking about.


The Breakfast Club (1985) - When I saw Pitch Perfect and after everybody else did, there was a fuss to watch this film. Judd Nelson was really cute here, something about his nose? I’m not even sure. Easy A also mentioned the fist-in-the-air scene. The movie was about five different teenagers getting along and understanding their differences.



     






Sleepless in Seattle (1994) - Robin, from HIMYM, saw Ted re-enact the last scene from this. I didn't like it. It was an old chick-flick about magic and destiny and hearts and flowers. I wasn't in the mood for such.









Pulp Fiction (1994) - I asked the Internet for the best films of the 1990's, and this movie kept appearing on almost every list. I was surprised that 9gag used scenes from this as memes (I double dare you, motherfucker!). It got me really entertained; it was funny in so many ways. I still had to ask Wikipedia for some facts though, because I honestly did not understand how Jules' and Vincent's conversation centered about a foot massage and someone getting thrown from the window. I was confused at first.



     





Nell (1994) - This made me cry! Despite some critics, I found Jodie Foster appealing here! This was recommended by Lyn, a friend, who belonged to a class where this film was shown. Well, interpersonal communication was the topic, and Nell communicated rather differently, so it was logical. It's a masterpiece.








Anna and the King (1999) - Again, another film from Lyn which stars Jodie Foster. Blooper alert, it was a sad ending. I really liked this film. Plus, I got to know what Chow Yun Fat looks like! Some scenes were rather corny and unbelievable, but all in all it was great.








         All the movies here were from Hollywood. I’m thinking of re-visiting the Filipino cinema, too. I mean, I've seen enough FPJ and Bong Revilla action movies, but I don’t think I've seen enough drama yet. Is it about time I check what the Vilma Santos and Nora Aunor craze is about?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment