Friday, March 1, 2013

My true love

Reading was not my hobby until my best buddy in high school persuaded me to try Rosamunde Pilcher's Come Home. That was in 2008, when I thought I'd never finish a book. But I did--which felt rewarding--and I was so proud I wanted everyone to know I finished a real book. Not a Sweet Dreams one, but a real one! And com'on, I perfectly understood what the characters were saying!

Since then, my best friend and I started reading every novel Rosamunde Pilcher ever made. We also read the other novels in the condensed Reader's Digest Jet's aunt gave her, and we enjoyed talking about the stories afterwards.

It was in high school when I started reading novels, and I'd forever be thankful to my best friend who persuaded me. If she hadn't, I'd be missing a huge part of my life.

Although it is not a hobby as cool as volleyball, Kung Fu, or whatever, reading is the only thing I do constantly. Not that I read every single day, but not a long time pass by without me finishing a book or a series of it. My academic grades can attest to this, because I'd rather read than study. In high school, before the UPCAT, I even prioritized a book over reviewing--which is probably why I skipped a lot in the Math section and answered all the blanks with B, because I heard Bs on Math exams are for sure.

But why are some people so hung up with reading? Reading is almost the same as entering a new world, meeting new people, and being to different places. Some you'd like, some you wouldn't. And even though I am not good enough to be a critic, if a storyteller has bad ears for narratives, why bother for so long? Unless you're as nosy as I am when it comes to endings, there's no need to stay in a world with bad storytellers.

Pride and Prejudice is one of the best books I have ever read.


And just the same with music, I don't patronize one genre of novels. I've read a lot of fiction from Mystery, Horror, Romance, Classics, and Chick Lit. However, I'm not rich enough to buy the books I like. Since I can't afford to buy printed books, I download e-books instead. If reading is something you're passionate about, it wouldn't matter if you had to read on your cellphone or your computer, even though paper would really smell nice.

This is the exact cover of the book I borrowed from Jet.

For example, I read the Sorcerer's Stone and The Prisoner of Azkaban in borrowed soft-bounds, but I finished the Harry Potter series on a China Phone that could read e-books in the .txt format. When I had a Java-enabled phone, I downloaded the Hunger Games in .jar, and now that I have a smartphone, PDF files would do. As my phones evolved, so did my e-books.

I'd assume that you see now the reason for this entry's title. If it's true love, it wouldn't matter how it appears because it's the inside that counts. I hope you have found yours just as I have found mine, because you see, my love takes me places I never thought I'd be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment